The purpose of this project is to create a real web site (or some other related product) for imaginary client. This is an opportunity to build your portfolio, and to work through the full design process from beginning to end on a realistic project.
The nature of the project can vary greatly. It is important to pick something that has a scope that you can complete within the term of the course.
Each week class time will be used as lab time to work on the project and meeting time to meet with the instructor. Students will be given in-class credit each week for meeting with the instructor and submitting clear progress reports on the state of the project. If a student misses class on one week, he/she must express progress to the instructor before the next class meeting in order to get credit for that week.
NOTE: It is understood that the scope and execution of the project may go differently from planned. Students will not be penalized for modifying the plan or adjust the scope during the course of the project, if it is done in coordination with the instructor.
Proposal and Plan
Please complete the PDF form linked above before beginning your project. Turn it in by midnight of the next class session. It includes the following topics:
- Description: Give a brief overview of the whole project. Who is the client and what is he/she looking for?
- Scope: How many pages, if it is a web site. Who is going to create the content? What is included?
- Technology: Is it going to be a static site? WordPress? Something else? What tools will you need? What resources do you need?
- Challenges: What do you see are going to be the toughest parts? What do you need to do to surmount those challenges?
- Not Included: Where do you draw the line on this project? What is not included? How will you avoid or deal with scope creep?
Please fill out the weekly plan linked above. Specify what you expect to accomplish for each week this quarter.
Be prepared to complete the following form at the end of the quarter: