Week 1: Introduction
Discuss class goals, objectives and expectations.
Senior Project Requirements
Live web design and development project for a real client.
The purpose of the senior project is to create a real web site (or some other related product) for a real client. This is an opportunity to build your portfolio, and to work through the full design process from beginning to end on a real project.
The nature of the project can vary greatly. It is important to pick something that has a scope that you can complete within the term of the course. The biggest challenge is that to get an A quality project you also need an A quality client. This can be difficult and it will require extra effort to facilitate on your part.
The senior project must start with a proposal, followed by a week by week plan describing how the plan will be completed. The proposal must be accepted by the course instructor before work can begin.
Each week class time will be used as lab time to work on the project and meeting time to meet with the instructor, the client or both. Students will be given in-class credit each week for meeting with the instructor and submitting clear progress reports on the state of the project. If a student misses class on one week, he/she must express progress to the instructor before the next class meeting in order to get credit for that week.
NOTE: It is understood that the scope and execution of the project may go differently from planned. Students will not be penalized for modifying the plan or adjust the scope during the course of the project, if it is done in coordination with the instructor and client.
Proposal and Plan
Please complete the PDF form linked above before beginning your senior project. Turn it in by midnight of the next class session. It includes the following topics:
- Description: Give a brief overview of the whole project. Who is the client and what is he/she looking for?
- Scope: How many pages, if it is a web site. Who is going to create the content? What is included?
- Technology: Is it going to be a static site? WordPress? Something else? What tools will you need? What resources do you need?
- Challenges: What do you see are going to be the toughest parts? What do you need to do to surmount those challenges?
- Not Included: Where do you draw the line on this project? What is not included? How will you avoid or deal with scope creep?
Please fill out the weekly plan linked above. Specify what you expect to accomplish for each week this quarter.
Be prepared to complete the following form at the end of the quarter:
Upload the following by midnight of our next class day:
|1||Senior Project Proposal||SeniorProject
|Senior Project Plan||SeniorProject
Senior Project Proposal
See details on left.
Senior Project Plan
See details on left.