Week 7: Tracking Changes, Mail Merge, and Microsoft Excel
Tracking Changes in Word
Enable Track Changes on the Mac
- Open the document.
- Click View.
- Click Toolbars.
- Click Reviewing.
- Click Track Changes.
Activity: Tracking Changes
Please find the forum on the eCompanion under Week 7 called "Activity: Tracking Changes". Follow the instructions found there.
Introduction to Microsoft Excel
Activity: Basic Excel Spreadsheet
Create a Microsoft Excel document which has the following specifications:
- File name: Contact List.xlsx
- Sheet one renamed: Mailing Addresses
- First row is column headings: First Name, Last Name, Street Address, City, State, ZIP
- At least five addresses (real or fake) below the first row
Mail Merge Using Word and Excel
Merging Data into a Letter
Creating Labels with Merged Info
Activity: Mail Merge
- Write a simple, incomplete business letter
- Merge in the addresses from your Microsoft Excel spreadsheet named "Contact List" (sheet: "Mailing Addresses"). You'll create:
- the original letter with the mail merge fields inserted, saved as "Letter Template.docx"
- the completed merged letters document, saved as "Individual Letters.docx"
- a page of mailing labels, saved as "Labels.docx"
- Upload all THREE files to the Dropbox.
Complete the following Excel exercises from the textbook. All exercise files can be found in the ZIP file linked above.
- Duffy_Excel Unit A, pp 1-15
- Duffy_Excel Unit B, pp 1-17
Download the following files to see what differences there are for these exercises in Excel 2008 for the Mac:
Complete the Tracking Changes, Basic Excel Spreadsheet, Mail Merge, and Excel Practice assignments as described in the left-hand column.
Upload the following to the Week 7 Lesson basket:
- Contact List.xlsx (Mondays: 5 points, Saturdays: 10 points)
- Letter Template.docx (5 points)
- Individual Letters.docx (5 points)
- Labels.docx (10 points)
- Tour Guide Payroll Calculator.xlsx (10 points)
- Tour Revenue Analysis.xlsx (10 points)
The "Tracking Changes" activity in the forum is worth the remaining 5 points.