Specifications for Final Project
Final Project Overview
For this project, you will be putting together a lot of the pieces and parts we have done in class. You will need to complete each part and upload it separately to the Dropbox.
Part of the grade has to do with time management. Look at each step and gauge how much time it will take to do each piece. You will have time in class during this and the next three classes to work on it, and you want to use your time well. You could easily spend the rest of the quarter just designing a logo, or you could rip through the entire project in a couple of hours. The idea is to put enough effort into the project to have a really nice product for each piece, but not to run out of time either.
You are going to create an imaginary business in an industry of your choice. You will be doing a marketing campaign that sends out promotional materials to potential clients. To do this, you must do each of these steps:
Pick an industry and products/services that you sell. It could be anything from hi-tech gizmos to vacations around the world.
- Logo: You will pick a name for the company and design a logo. The logo can have the name of the company in it, but it must also include some sort of graphic or image. It could be a simple shape-type graphic or it could be more complex. You must combine at least two design elements in order to make your unique creation.
- Business Card: You will design a business card for yourself. Include your name, the company with logo you created, an address, phone, email - all the normal stuff that goes on a business card. Go the extra mile to make it look really nice. You can use the templates in MS Word for business cards to get you started. Business cards are almost always 3½" wide by 2" tall.
- Marketing Letter: You are going to need a marketing letter. You must design a letterhead to go with the business card, also including logo and company information, address, etc. It should look like it goes with the business card design. For the actual letter, you will start with the letter I have provided. You need to use the track changes features to accept or reject changes that I have made, and modify the text of the letter so that it makes sense for your business. Create a finished letter that combines the text and the letterhead you designed. Make it look really professional.
- Data Sheet. Create a data sheet of marketing data that is designed with the same logo and to go with the letter that shows how your company has out-performed the competition for the last five years in the market. You will have to make up the numbers yourself (40% of all statistics are made up anyway). Include a graph that goes with your data showing the strength of your company/products. Your data sheet must have the following components:
- On your company letterhead with your logo at the top
- Text describing why your company is better than the competition, and describing the data
- A graph supporting the text
- Catalogue: Create a catalogue of products or services in Word using a multi-column table. Use your letterhead as a basis for the design. Your catalog must contain at least 10 products/services. There must be one row for each product/service and that row should include the name of the product, a description, a picture, and the price. Make the page look really good: use styles on the table, and apply design concepts to make it look nice.
- Mail Merge Letters and Labels: Download the mailing list, import it into an Excel file, and mail-merge it into your marketing letter in order to personalize letters to potential clients. Also create mailing labels. Be sure that zip codes starting with 0 are formatted correctly.
- Presentation: Create a PowerPoint presentation that is aimed at a particular audience - could be clients, could be employees, could be some other group (investors?). Make the PowerPoint presentation teach something critical about the company and the product(s) offered. Make sure it uses some unique graphics and includes your logo. Make sure it follows good principles for a presentation.
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 1 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Logo (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 2 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Business Card (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 3 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Marketing Letter (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 4 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Data Sheet (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 5 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Catalogue (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 6 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Mail Merge Letters and Labels (35 points)
Upload the following to the Week 11: Final Project Part 7 basket by the end of the final day of class:
- Presentation (40 points)